Welcome to FCC-ABS
THE FLORIDA CARIBBEAN CHAPTER
We are so fortunate to include such diversity in our community as we span from Northern Florida at zone 8 to south Florida zone 11 and the Caribbean zone 12 plus. This gives us such a wide range of bamboo plants to talk about and so much more to learn. While our board currently is located in Central / South Florida we welcome all of our members to participate and create meet ups so that we can really nourish our bamboo community and share our passion with new members.
Our mission is to promote the use and love of bamboo in it’s multitude of uses through education and community.
Our chapter has been on hiatus for a bit but we are up and running and want to meet all of you. We also want to grow our membership so that we can sponsor annual art competitions, regional round ups, and hands on educational workshops. Please share us with any who might be interested in joining our bamboo family. As always membership can be completed through www.bamboo.org and choose Florida / Caribbean chapter for your home group. The national ABS sends out a quarterly magazine and here in Florida we communicate through email monthly.
Our goal with this website is to educate our members & the public about tropical, sub-tropical & temperate bamboo species that thrive in USDA Hardiness Zones 8-12. Bamboo can be used and enjoyed in many diverse ways in Florida & The Caribbean, from ornamental landscape to construction and even health & nutrition.
- The fastest growing plant on this planet.
- A critical element in the balance of oxygen and carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
- A viable replacement for wood.
- An enduring natural resource.
- Versatile with a short growth cycle.
- A critical element of the economy.
- An essential structural material in earthquake architecture.
- A renewable resource for agro forestry production.
- A natural controllable barrier.
- An ancient medicine.
- Integrally involved in culture and the arts.